Basic Aspire has a fairly small footprint. For evaluation purposes, it can run on your laptop. For most production implementations, we recommend:
- A 4-core server running 64-bit Linux or Windows
- Minimum of 8Gbs of RAM (32Gbs recommended for production) assigned to the Java Virtual Machine.
- Minimal disk: Aspire itself currently runs in less than 1GB, we recommend a minimun of 10Gbs for development and testing environments
- We don't recommend the minimal disk space for production environments
This value does not include logs or data generated due crawls or other component activity
- Network connection speed of 100Mbps minimum, and preferred 1Gbps or 10Gbps
Factors Affecting Recommendations
What you need to run Aspire optimally in a complex, enterprise production environment depends on multiple factors, including:
- The total number of data sources to be crawled, and for each data source:
- What type of repository holds the data (i.e. SharePoint, Documentum, RDBMS, etc.)
- Total number of documents
- Total number of bytes
- How long an initial indexing crawl should take
- How long a periodic incremental indexing crawl should take
- Are real-time updates required?
- Network speed between repository and Aspire server
- Data metrics for query client connections:
- Number of client connections expected
- Number of queries per second expected
- Query latency times required / expected
- Is authentication, authorization, and group expansion required for client search requests?
- Will distributed processing be required?
If you need assistance in sizing an Aspire Enterprise system, please contact your Search Technologies Account representative (we'd be happy to help).