Some of the features of the SharePoint 2010 connector include:
- Performs incremental crawling (so that only new/updated documents are indexed)
- Fetches access control lists (ACLs) for document level security
- Is search engine independent
- Runs from any machine with access to the given SharePoint URLs
- Supports NTLM and HTTPs
- Supports site discovery
- Supports Claims Users and Groups
- Designed for supporting early binding mechanisms
- Optionally, can run without installing anything on SharePoint (with important limitations)
- Regular expression patterns for files to include / exclude
The SharePoint 2010 connector retrieves several types of documents. Listed below are the inclusions of these documents.
- Documents or List Items
ListItems can take a number of different formats. For example, documents (pdf, doc, ppt, etc), calendar events or announcements. For more info on how ListItems content types work go to the MSDN article.
Due to API limitations, SharePoint 2010 connector has the following limitations:
- The connector uses web services to access SharePoint database(s) directly; it doesn't do web crawling.
Future Development Plan
The following features are not currently implemented, but are on the development plan:
- Automatic metadata propagation
From site "about" pages to all of the files within the site
- Index and support people search
Anything we should add? Please let us know.